This is the 2-1-1 update on the Flint Water Response for Monday, April 18, 2016
This update is produced by Michigan 2-1-1 three times a week (M-W-F) with special updates as needed. Organization updates, information and announcements can be sent to email@example.com.
- The Flint Water Crisis Community Partners Meeting – the community partners met on Thursday, April 14. Notes from the meeting are attached.
NOTE DATE CHANGE FOR THIS WEEK’s MEETING: This week’s meeting is moved to Tuesday, April 19 from 2:30 pm – 5:30 pm at the Kennedy Center (1610 W. Pierson Rd). The broader community is invite to the meeting which will include a report from the Mayor’s Water Response Team, updates from state and federal partners and information from Dr. Larry Reynolds from Mott Children’s Hospital on combatting lead exposure. See attached agenda for the full meeting description.
Weekly meeting schedule :
- Coordination Workgroup: Tuesday, April 26th, 2:00 p.m., American Red Cross
- Education Workgroup: Tuesday, April 19th, 8:30 a.m., Special Services North (5075 Pilgrim Rd., 48507)
- Flint Community Resilience Group (FCRG):
- FCRG Data & Gap Analysis: Every Thursday, 1:30 p.m., Genesee Health System Board Room
- FCRG Planning & Coordination: Every other Wednesday (NEXT: Cancelled this week…next meeting TBD), 10:30 a.m., Genesee Health System Board Room
- FCRG Faith: May 12th, 11:30 a.m., Genesee Health System, 5th Floor
- FCRG Stress Management: Every other Wednesday (NEXT: April 27th), 12:00 p.m., Genesee Health System 4th Floor Conference Room
- FCRG Outreach to Special & Vulnerable Populations: Meeting on-line, via e-mail (to become part of this workgroup, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org)
- FCRG Psychological First Aid (PFA): TBA (for more information, please e-mail email@example.com)
- Physical Health Workgroup: Tuesday, April 19th, 9:00 m., Greater Flint Health Coalition (519 S. Saginaw Street, Suite 301)
- Resource Recovery Workgroup: Tuesday, April 19th, 9:00 a.m., Food Bank of Eastern Michigan
- Mobile Food Bank Schedule for the week of April 10, 2016
Tuesday, 4/19/16, Starting at noon at 4601 Clio Rd. in Flint
Wednesday, 4/20/16, Starting at 11:00 am at 1309 N. Ballenger Hwy. in Flint
Thursday, 4/21/16, Starting at noon at 930 E. Myrtle Ave. in Flint
Friday, 4/22/16, Starting at 11:00 am at 6702 N. Dort Hwy. in Flint
Information about additional food distribution dates will be announced as they are scheduled. For more information, visit the Food Bank website at www.FBEM.org, then click on “Find Help – Mobile Delivery Schedule”, or call 810-239-4441.
- Brennan Community Center is hosting a community meeting for seniors Thursday, April 21, from 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m. at 1301 Pingree Avenue Flint, MI 48503. Representatives from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, as well as other partners will be available to answer questions or concerns about the Flint water emergency. For more information, call Sheryl Thompson at (810-280-3590).
- West Court Street Church of God is hosting a Community Conversation Thursday April 21, from 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm to get official information and ask questions about water and health testing, updates on pipes and infrastructure, updates on health information, and economic development/ job opportunities. 2920 W Court St, Flint, MI 48503 in the Lower Level Fellowship Hall. Parking available in both the West Court & Beecher parking lots. Handicap accessible from the West Court entrance.
- Mark Edwards from Virginia Tech has published the latest water testing results at http://flintwaterstudy.org/. A powerpoint presentation summarizing the results is at this link. Key findings include:
- Water lead throughout the Flint system is highly variable, virtually all homes in Flint must be considered at risk for elevated lead in water, unless the homeowner is certain that there is no lead plumbing (i.e., lead service line, leaded brass, or lead solder) in the home.
- Lead Levels Are Lower Now Than in August 2015
- Low water use by residents is hindering recovery – more people will need to use more water to restore the protective coating on the pipes.
- Governor Snyder to drink (filtered) Flint water for month following a challenge by a reporter to drink the water. The governor said he and his wife, first lady Sue Snyder, will use the water at home and work for drinking and cooking for a month, and the governor will resupply during frequent visits to the city. Full story at detroitnews.com/story/news/michigan/flint-water-crisis/2016/04/18/snyder-drinking-flint-water/83202064/
- This Week Tonight focuses on Flint and larger problem of lead in American homes. HBO’s satirical news show with John Oliver focused on the Flint water situation and the broader dangers of lead in homes across America. Full story with a link to the 18 minute HBO report at detroitnews.com/story/news/michigan/flint-water-crisis/2016/04/18/hbo-john-oliver-weighs-flint-water-crisis-lead/83181170/.
2-1-1 call volume continues to be manageable within existing capacity.
No special needs to report today.
The Attorney General’s Office investigates reports of potential scams. These can be reported to the Charitable Trust Section at firstname.lastname@example.org. The AG has tips on how to avoid falling victim to con artists at www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-164-17337_20942-375279–,00.html.
There are no unresolved issues to track today.