Applewood: The Charles Stewart Mott Estate opens for the season on May 2. The four-day celebration takes place 11 a.m.–5 p.m. Thursday, May 2, to Sunday, May 5. Admission is always FREE!
- House Tours each day starting at 11:30 a.m. (No reservation necessary during Season Opening celebration).
- Walking Garden Tours each day at noon.
- Try a Taste of Applewood, always made with ingredients grown at the estate.
- Every Friday, join us at 11:30 a.m. for family Storytime at Applewood, immediately followed by fun, hands-on activities. Register for Storytime here.
- The Bring Your Lunch & Learn monthly series is back this season with a new theme: Sharing the Legacy. We’re kicking it off at noon on Friday, May 3 with “Journaling: What’s Your Story?” — a hands-on workshop and throwback to C.S. Mott’s daily diary routine.
Bookmark our Calendar of Events to stay current on our family friendly Applewood activities all season long!
- May 2-5: Season Opening
- May 12: Mother’s Day at Applewood
- July 13: Wet Paint Day
- July 25: Savor the Summer (from 4-8 p.m.)
- September 28: Fall Harvest Festival
- October 26-27: Halloween in the Gardens
- December 3: Holiday Walk (5-8 p.m.)
Tours at Applewood
Visitors are always welcome to explore the grounds at their leisure during open hours, 11 a.m.–5 p.m. Thursday–Sunday.
GUIDED HOUSE TOUR
Free! Reservations are required (except during special events) and can be made online or by calling 810-233-3835.
Visitors will explore three levels of the Mott family home and see all the main living spaces—stepping inside the master bedroom, the basement recreation area (including the bowling alley), C.S. Mott’s office packed with books all the way to the ceiling, and more! Throughout the experience, visitors will hear the details that bring Mott family history to life.“These tours are like stepping back in time, laced with stories, sometimes hearing C.S. Mott’s own words captured in his extensive daily diaries that spanned the entirety of his adult life… (Mott) kept just about everything—making Applewood a unique collection of family and community history.” (Flintside.com) The tour is always evolving and returning guests will likely learn something new with each visit!
WALKING GARDEN TOUR
Free! No reservation required. Offered each open day at noon from May–September.
This hour-long walking garden tour takes visitors to dozens of highlights throughout the artfully tended, colorful gardens and grounds, including the historic apple orchard for which the estate is named, the bee hives, gatehouse, barn, chicken coop, rose garden, demonstration garden, perennial garden, friendly frog, and much more. Along the way, guides share fascinating, behind-the-scenes anecdotes and history about the Mott family at Applewood.
Customized experiences for groups of six or more are available by calling 810.396.3104.
Applewood is the historic family estate of Charles Stewart Mott, built in 1916 at the edge of downtown Flint. Today, Applewood is owned and operated by the Ruth Mott Foundation with free admission and regular visitor hours from May through October. The former gentleman’s farm encompasses the original historic home and barn, flower-filled gardens, stately trees, expansive lawns and the heritage apple orchard for which it was named.
Come explore Applewood!
APPLEWOOD: The Charles Stewart Mott Estate
Open 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday to Sunday
May through October.
1400 E. Kearsley St., Flint, MI 48503
Located next to the Flint Cultural Center.
Link to Driving Directions & Map