Genesee Conservation District (GCD) is seeking applicants with an outgoing personality for employment as a Conservation Coordinator working in Genesee County, Michigan. Applicants should have a strong interest in natural resources conservation and/or environmental science. The primary function of this position is to support the coordination of program activities implemented by GCD; including, but not limited to urban forestry. In order to fulfill position duties, the employee shall exhibit the following characteristics, knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Experience participating as part of a team
- Healthy enthusiasm for research and critical thinking
- Strong understanding of social media
- Motivated, self-starter, ambitious, organized, and creative
- Customer service skills
- Report writing experience
- Detail and deadline focused
- Able to interpret and implement directions
- Capable of speaking and interacting in public settings
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Able to lift and carry 40 pounds, climb stairs, and perform field work in urban, suburban, and rural settings
- Working knowledge of the MS Office Suite
- Promotes the benefits of healthy urban tree canopies
- Maintains tree data reporting and mailing lists
- Coordinates educational workshops related to proper tree maintenance and backyard conservation; coordinates the scheduling of urban forestry staff field visits
- Assists with spring and fall tree sales
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with partners, volunteers, contractors, and the public
- Markets and maintains Urbanwood reutilization program and other District initiatives
- Communicates effectively with the public
- Develops and maintains outreach efforts, including: newsletter, website, social media outlets, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
The position is grant funded and will pay $12.20/hour for 20-24 hours per week. The employee will work primarily within the hours of 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday. There is potential for the hours to increase over time. Approximately 90% of the work will be performed in an office setting. A valid Michigan driver’s license and reliable transportation is required.
Applicants must submit a resume and a cover letter indicating relevant experience to email@example.com or by mail to Angela Warren, Genesee Conservation District, 1525 N. Elms Rd., Flint, MI 48532 by Wednesday, December 17, 2014. Selected applicants will be contacted for interviews to be held Monday, December 22, 2014.
Genesee Conservation District employment, programs, and services are offered on a nondiscriminatory basis with regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability/handicap, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital or familial status.