Genesee Conservation District is seeking applicants with an outgoing personality for employment as a Forestry Coordinator in Genesee County, Michigan. Applicants should have a strong interest in natural resources conservation and/or environmental science. The primary function of this position is to support the coordination of urban forestry in the City of Flint, Michigan. In order to fulfill position duties, the employee shall exhibit the following characteristics, knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Knowledge of urban forestry or a background in horticulture
- Coursework, study, or experience in dendrology and/or leaf identification
- Invasive species awareness
- Experience participating as part of a team
- Motivated, self-starter, ambitious, and organized
- Customer service skills
- Report writing experience
- Detail and deadline focused
- Able to interpret and implement directions
- Capable of speaking and interacting in public settings
- Able to lift and carry 40 pounds, climb stairs, walk on uneven terrain up to three miles at any given time, and perform field work in urban, suburban, and rural settings
- Working knowledge of the MS Office Suite
- Conducts urban street tree and park tree health and risk assessments
- Performs arboriculture procedures: Site selection, planting, trimming/removal, pest/disease identification, fertilization, and tree watering
- Promotes the benefits of healthy urban tree canopies
- Maintains tree data reporting in software program
- Coordinates and conduct educational workshops related to proper tree planting, tree health, pruning, etc.
- Assists with spring and fall tree sales
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with partners, residents, and contractors
- Maintains Urbanwood reutilization program needs by pricing and stocking wood
- Other duties as assigned
The position is grant funded and will pay $12.20/hour for 10-15 hours per week. The employee will work primarily within the hours of 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday. There is potential for the hours to increase over time. Approximately 75% of the work will be performed outdoors. A valid Michigan driver’s license and reliable transportation is required.
Applicants must submit a resume and a cover letter indicating relevant experience to email@example.com or by mail to Angela Warren, Genesee Conservation District, 1525 N. Elms Rd., Flint, MI 48532 by Wednesday, December 17, 2014. Selected applicants will be contacted for interviews to be held Monday, December 22, 2014.
Genesee Conservation District employment, programs, and services are offered on a nondiscriminatory basis with regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability/handicap, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital or familial status.