The Michigan Community Service Commission (MCSC) is excited to announce it is now seeking nominations for the 2015 Governor’s Service Awards.
These awards are given annually by the Governor to acknowledge individuals, organizations, and businesses who are committed to service and volunteerism in their communities.
The 2015 Governor’s Service Awards nomination form is available for download on the MCSC’s website at www.michigan.gov/volunteer. A hard copy of the nomination form is also available and can be obtained by contacting the MCSC at (517) 335-4295.
Nominations are being accepted in the following eight categories:
- Governor George Romney Lifetime Achievement Award for Volunteerism: honors an individual who has shown a lifelong commitment to community involvement and volunteerism.
- Corporate Community Leader Award: honors corporations and businesses that excel in community involvement and demonstrate excellent corporate citizenship by giving back to their community in a variety of ways.
- Outstanding National Service Program Award: honors an organization that provides a high-quality national service program which yields a significant impact in a Michigan community.
- Outstanding Volunteer Program Award: honors organizations or clubs that make a positive contribution to community life.
- Mentor of the Year: honors an individual who has made a significant difference in a child’s life through mentoring.
- Senior Volunteer of the Year: honors an individual age 65 and older who has taken action to make their community a better place to live through service.
- Volunteer of the Year: honors an individual who strives to improve the lives of neighbors, friends, community or congregation through volunteerism.
- Youth Volunteer of the Year: honors individuals who are age 21 or younger that have already begun making a significant difference in their community through service.
Five finalists in each category, including the winner, will be recognized at a celebration to be held on June 29, 2015, in Grand Rapids. The Governor’s Service Awards are coordinated by the MCSC, the state’s lead agency on service and volunteerism.
Nominations for the Governor’s Service Awards must be postmarked by Friday, February 27, 2015. The MCSC will also be accepting electronic nominations at GSA@michigan.gov. Electronic materials should be submitted by the February 27 deadline and should be formatted as PDF files, with the exception of photos which should be in JPEG format.