Love Your City Month Returns to Flint in May for Third Year in a Row
Flint, Michigan – April 24, 2015 – May will officially be Love Your City month in Flint for the third year in a row. The City of Flint, along with its partners Keep Genesee County Beautiful and Republic Services of Flint, have developed a list of activities which focuses on giving residents and community groups the resources they need to perform home and neighborhood cleanups all month long. All of Flint is encouraged to participate in beautification activities within their community throughout the month of May.
City of Flint partner Keep Genesee County Beautiful will start the Love Your City activities by sponsoring a household hazardous waste and electronics collection event on May 2, 2015 from 10am-2pm at the City of Flint Water Service Center on Court Street between Dort Hwy. and Averill. For more information, residents can contact Keep Genesee County Beautiful at 810-767-9696.
Beginning May 4, 2015, each of the first three full weeks of May will include special weekly residential trash pickups by Republic Services of Flint with one week each for unlimited large item pickup, unlimited bagged trash pickup, and unlimited bundled brush pickup. These services are available to City residential waste collection customers only. Residents with questions can call Republic Services of Flint at 800-438-0966. Full details on the pickups and activities are listed below and in the attached brochure.
Keep Genesee County Beautiful will provide free yard waste bags, garbage bags, cotton work gloves and litter grabbers to individuals and groups who would like to take part in cleaning public spaces such as parks, schools, libraries, medians and right-of-ways. Residents should call Keep Genesee County Beautiful at 810-767-9696 a week in advance to request supplies.
Groups wishing to perform a neighborhood cleanup should contact City of Flint Blight Coordinator Raul Garcia at 810-237-2090 prior to scheduling their activities to ensure that the proper resources are available before work begins.
A free tire disposal will also take place Saturday, June 6, 2015 from 9am-3pm at Environmental Rubber Recycling at 6515 N. Dort Hwy. Residents bringing tires will be paid $1 per tire up to 25 tires, or $25 per truckloads of 25 tires or more. Any other tires after the original 25 will be taken free of charge.
Love Your City began in 2013 as an extension of national philanthropy group Cities of Service’s grant-funded Love Your Block initiative which sought to remove blight from 20 city blocks. With the help of the City’s partners Republic Services of Flint, Keep Genesee County Beautiful, Salem Housing and neighborhood volunteer groups including Flint Neighborhoods United, Love Your City has been able to continue making a positive difference in Flint.
Love Your City Event Schedule:
May 2 – Household Hazardous Waste & Electronics Event
- City of Flint Water Service Center, 3310 E. Court St.
- Items can be dropped off between 10:00am and 2:00pm.
- Call 810-767-9696 for more information.
*All items for special pickup days must be curbside by 7:00am on normal trash collection day.
May 4-8 – Unlimited Large Item Pickup
- No refrigerators, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, cast iron tubs, tires, shingles demolition materials, plumbing, countertops or concrete.
May 11-15 – Unlimited Bagged Trash Pickup
- All bags must each weigh less than 50 lbs.
May 18-22 Unlimited Bundled Brush Pickup
- All brush must be in bundles no larger than 4 feet long and branches must be less than 2 inches thick.
- No trees, tree trunks, stumps or logs.
- Regular trash collection day compost will not be affected.
June 6 – Free Tire Disposal Event
- Held at Environmental Rubber Recycling, 6515 N. Dort Hwy.
- Tires can be dropped off between 9:00am and 3:00pm.
- Payment will be made either by tire ($1 each for up to 25 tires) or by truckload ($25 for loads of 25 tires or more.
- All other tires will be taken at no cost.